Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Crawford EATS!!!!

Most of you know by now that Crawford is not much of an eater (besides breakfast). But lately he's been trying everything on his plate and even asked for more green beans on Monday night! This is HUGE progress - because he's been surviving on chicken, pancakes, waffles, cookies and crackers.
About 2 months ago - I made the pledge to follow through on my New Year's resolution: sit down and eat together as a family at least 5-6 nights a week AND only go to the grocery store once a week (we were averaging 4-5 trips a week). I am proud to say that we've done it almost 6 nights a week ever since. I have to say - Crawford loves it and loves helping set the table. He points out who's chair is where and jabbers through much of the meal. He has never said anything about how he's eating what we are eating - but this HAS to be the reason he's venturing out and trying new foods. I guess all of those parenting experts really know what they are talking about!
I will admit that now that I work 3 days a week - it's a challenge to get dinner on the table by 6:00. From the moment Crawford gets home from school - he yells "eat, eat." So - I've gotten really good about doing all of the prep work and some of the cooking the night before. While it's a lot of work - it's fun to think of new menus and I love that I have everything on hand and the pantry is stocked so that I can whip up a meal in no time.
I plan our menus 2 weeks at a time and make the BIG WM trip once every 2 weeks. I also go to SAM's once every 2 weeks and have gotten really good at freezing meats and things so that I can pull them out when I need them. Every other week we make the "quick" shop to replenish the necessities like milk, diapers, etc. - but my 1 big trip really lasts for 2 weeks.
Tonight I was making dinner (with Crawford's help of course) and he asked me if he could have a bite - I almost fainted. We were making mashed potatoes (to go with lemon-butter pork medallions and sauteed zucchini). The kid has NEVER eaten a potato - despite the gazillion times I've tried to get him to eat them and the gazillion ways in which I've cooked them. He stuck a finger in (yes if he was going to eat them - I was going to let it be straight from the bowl) and said "yummy!"
Progress people. Progress.

No comments: