Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas at Children's

We had it confirmed today that we would be spending Christmas at the hospital. It's been one heck of a roller-coaster ride. I'll be sure and post pictures and a full recap - but here are some of the "high (low) lights":

SUNDAY:

  • Went to ER at 12:30 on Sunday (her sip and see started at 2:00 - so there was a "sip" with no see)
  • Around 3:00 we learned it was RSV and she was being admitted
  • 11:00 pm - saw the doctor and felt much better about her status - he even mentioned she might go home the next day

MONDAY:

  • Saw the doctor around 8 am and learned we'd be doing great if she was home by Christmas
  • Fought it all day with varied levels of oxygen
  • Around 3:30 she nursed and looked great! I picked Crawford up from school and had some 1:1 time with him.
  • 5:30 - Bo called and she had taken a turn for the worse and I was needed back asap
  • 8:00 - we transfer to ICU - her respirations were very high and the doctor was very concerned
  • 10:00 - treatments were working and we were hopeful that she would be better soon
  • 10:05 - yes 5 minutes later - doctor decides that she needs to be airlifted to Children's

TUESDAY

  • 1:30 am - helicopter arrives and Conlee and I take to the skies for our trip (I still can't believe I got to go with her - 1 in 800 odds of being allowed to fly). Bo drove in the car and arrived around 3:45.
    We are admitted to the intermediate care unit (step down from ICU).
  • All morning she is monitored and we do various treatments and oxygen levels. She nurses and by noon she is really doing great. Doctor starts to back off the oxygen.
  • 2:00 pm - we are transferred to a regular room - nurse says she may go home tomorrow.
  • 3:30 - she takes a turn for the worse. Bo and I monitor her through the evening - and she continually gets worse.
  • Midnight - nurse calls the on-call doctors and we do more tests and they place the order for her to go back to the intermediate care unit.

WEDNESDAY (so far...)

  • 2:00 am - she is bumped back up to full 5 liters of oxygen (exactly where we were on Monday) and looks horrible - it's very hard for her to breathe.
  • 3-6 am - Conlee screams her head off and is struggling to breathe.
  • 6 - 7:15 - she settles in and the 3 of us get an hour and 15 minutes of sleep (only sleep we've really had since a 20 minute nap Tuesday afternoon).
  • 7:15 - present - Conlee screams her head off and can't get comfortable. They are administering a breathing treatment now (which is why I can blog) and my prayers are that it makes her feel better.

My family is headed here with Crawford (I can't wait to see him). No one is even speculating at this point on when she might be released! So - we are mentally preparing for the worse case scenario. Please pray for her - I truly believe that is the best medicine.

1 comment:

Amanda Whittaker said...

Meredith, just want you to know Jon and I are praying for Conlee and for you all! We're in LR all week so if you need anything (food or company) please don't hesitate to ask. My cell is 479-283-3489. You can call me anytime!! I mean it.