Sunday, December 12, 2010

Fayetteville Half Marathon

Disclaimer – I don’t in any way, shape or form understand what motivates one to put “run a marathon” on their bucket list.  But, being the supportive wife that I am – Bo decided that he was running the 1st 1/2 Marathon in Fayetteville.  So, in October – he and his buddy Lew started training.

Well, they did the work (long, long runs on Saturdays) and today was the big day.  Little did they plan on it being the coldest day of the year.  Literally 18 degrees with 30 mile and hour winds.  When we picked up his race packet yesterday – there were tons of “warning” signs.  I tried my best to dissuade him – but he wasn’t having it.

Here’s a pic of Bo and Lew before they started.

race

I suited up and headed down there about 9:15.  Man – I can’t tell you how cold it was.  I had the blanket I’d brought for him completely wrapped around me!  After watching hard – I finally saw some red coming down the hill.  Did I mention that we live in Fayetteville and there are tons of hills?  The website described it as mainly flat with a few inclines.  Bo assures me they are liars.

063

He was so in the zone he didn’t even notice me jumping, screaming and snapping his pic!

064 065

The final leg was a lap around the track.

066 067  069 070  072

His goal was to finish in under 2 hours and he did it.  He was number 144 out of almost 500 participants.  While I don’t begin to understand it – I am very, very proud of him that he did it.  Now, let’s pray we aren’t “addicted” and moving on to marathons.

No comments: