Tonight was an unexpected emotional roller coaster. As the kids and I sat down for some din, Bo and Uncle Matt went to get our Christmas trees (don’t even ask – attic opening is too high and too small – so we store them at our rent house). While we were eating Crawford blurted out, “Mom, I know the Elf is just a decoration and that you and dad are really Santa. Santa isn’t really real.” I honestly did not know how to respond. I.Was.Crushed.
There are times when I hate technology and times I love it. Tonight I love it. I posted to Facebook and within minutes had tons of great advice.
To be honest – I did what I normally do – waited on Bo to get home! I asked Crawford to tell his Daddy what he told me. He repeated himself, but this time was hesitant – like just maybe he didn’t know what he was talking about.
Thank goodness that just bringing in the tree boxes seemed to turn him into a believer again. He ran to get his Christmas pjs on and was singing Rudolf! He said that XXX (won’t post name of kid) didn’t know what he was talking about. Of course the Elf is real, how else would he move around the house why we sleep? He did say that he knew that the mall Santa wasn’t real – but they are sent from Santa because Santa is too busy making the toys with the elves!
Hoping that this is a conversation that doesn’t repeat itself for at least another 4-5 years
No comments:
Post a Comment