Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas in Memphis

Since Dad is still in ICU, we decided to get hotel rooms in Memphis so we could be that much closer to the hospital. The hospital gets a "discount" rate at the Crowne Plaza that is 5 minutes from there - so we had 2 adjoining rooms for the weekend. Yes - 7 people in 2 rooms. I can't tell you how nice it was! The people were amazing and the hotel has been renovated. It's "off" of Beale a ways - but the trolley goes right to it. We were the only people in the place on Christmas night - so we took full advantage of the facilities. The security guard even brought us homemade treats. The McCain's are so like the Grizzwald's - we might have been there under "unfortunate" circumstances - but we made the absolute best of it!

I so wish you could see the chocolate on Crawford's face in the pic below. I was so not above bribing my kid to take a nap (yes with chocolate). Both kids actually did remarkably well - and we got to Memphis around 5:30.
Unfortunately, dad is still in ICU - so the kids couldn't see him. He still has a bacterial infection and is in the "transplant ICU" so no one under the age of 14 allowed :( Crawford was pretty upset - but seeing Babe made up for it. It was so nice to squeeze my Daddy's hand on Christmas. I haven't missed one with my folks in all of my 33 years.

If you know me (and if you read this blog regularly - you probably do) you know I am always prepared - a trait I definitely get from my mom. Between the 2 of us - there was not a thing lacking on Christmas. We had a Holiday Ham, bread and all of the sandwich fixings, a cake, a pie and of course the booze :) We really camped out in the rooms. We made one the kid room with beds and dvd. The other room was for "after hours" where we all hung out until bed time.
When we realized we were literally the ONLY people in the place - we went exploring. Court taught Crawford how to make a "tunnel" with his legs for his new motorcycle.
Pretty soon this turned into us using all of the bar stools to make a bridge!
Conlee even had her dessert (peaches) in the bar!

I am so thrilled that Court is soon to be "officially" part of the family. She is so great with the kids and is so much fun to be with . Turns out she's a great gift giver too because the kids LOVED their presents. Again, it was like a Christmas that kept going, and going, and going.
Did I mention the place was deserted. It was like being in a movie that you've always dreamed of - having an entire hotel to yourself!

My wonderful hubby who arranged all of this for my family. What would we all do without him?
Did I mention the gifts didn't stop. We literally did our gift exchange in the lobby with the 3 hotel employees watching!
Crawford got a pair of Cowboy boots from Babe & Pops and let me tell you - he thinks he is something else!


Con's new favorite toy - the doodle board.
Pops was with us for sure in spirit. Lots of things to pray about but still lots of things to be thankful for this Christmas!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

What a memorable Christmas. I love that you did all the "normal" stuff even though you were away from home.