I can't believe how long it's been since I've blogged! There is so much to catch up on. We've ridden the train with Santa, taken Christmas pictures and tons more. But, unfortunately the BIG news of the past few weeks has been that my dad is very sick.
My brother and I went home the Friday after Thanksgiving only to have to take dad to the ER that Saturday. Since then, there have been a gazillion doctors and a few procedures/surgeries. This past Wednesday, December 9th, Dad went through a 9 hour operation to try and remove his cancer. He has a very rare form that does not respond to chemo - so you cut it out or there's no option. The surgeon (the same one that did Steve Jobs' transplant) said he removed all that he could see. But, they did biopsy the lymph nodes and we'll find out tomorrow if it had spread there. We are extremely hopeful and optimistic that it is good news and our prayers are answered.
The great news is that late this afternoon, he finally got out of ICU and transferred to a regular room! He's been in in ICU 5 nights and was on the respirator for 3 nights! He's been up in a chair and while he's in a lot of pain, the doctor's finally say that his counts are improving and that he's looking pretty good.
I am sure there won't be too much sleep in our family tonight - but we are extremely hopeful that we receive good news. He's had the best surgeon and has a "gang" of doctor's looking out for him. I'll go back and post some of the pics from the last few weeks later this week, but just wanted to let you know that we are here and we are very much alive and thankful.
More than anything we are all so thankful to have the love and support of our friends and family. Dad is only 65 and is way too young to be enduring this on top of everything else he's dealt with the past 20 years (blocked arteries, blood clots, 2 artificial aortic valves, etc.). Matt and I spent the past week there (I can't remember the last time I spent a week at home!). Bo, Sue-Sue and J-J stepped up to the plate and handled things here - so I was able to be with Mom, Dad and Matt. I can't describe how torn I was. I HAD to be with my Dad, but I MISSED my kids sooooo much. Bo and Courtney drove the kids over on Friday to visit and I was so happy to see all of them. Friday night as I read Crawford a book, he said, "Momma can I come visit you again soon?" He honestly thought that I wouldn't ever be home again. I told him I was coming home with him and he said good.
So, it's with such strong mixed emotions that I write this as I sit at home with my two precious kids tucked in bed knowing that my mom and dad are spending a long night together in the hospital (the doctor told mom it would be good for her to stay with him tonight). My heart aches to be there with them - but I know that we are there in spirit. Praying they get some rest and we receive good news tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Until then, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers!
So, it's with such strong mixed emotions that I write this as I sit at home with my two precious kids tucked in bed knowing that my mom and dad are spending a long night together in the hospital (the doctor told mom it would be good for her to stay with him tonight). My heart aches to be there with them - but I know that we are there in spirit. Praying they get some rest and we receive good news tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Until then, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers!
1 comment:
MG~ This made me tear up big time. you are your Daddy are like me and mine. I can't imagine what you are going through right now. I will pray a million times for your family and your daddy. I hope all the prayers make his recovery quick and as painless as possible. Keep us posted and let me know if there is anything i can do. Much love~T
Post a Comment