Being in the hospital for 1 month doesn't make for too many "good" pics. But, I did snap a few on my phone that I have to share. Dad is at University of Methodist Hospital. On Tuesday, the nurse said there was a celebrity who wanted to interview cancer patients about the level of care they were receiving. It turned out it was Kathy Bates. She is from Memphis and is donating money to cancer research there.
The first time she came by mom, Matt and I met her but dad was in a procedure. She was so nice and said she'd get back around to see dad. She asked mom how long they'd been married and mom replied, "35 years this past Sunday. We are working on number 36." Kathy replied with, "Awe, I say you shoot for at least 40."
For dad's last meal before surgery, we went to the Rendezvous and picked up ribs. It was so great to see everyone there. Jack who has waited on mom and dad for at least the past 30 years even knew dad was sick and he got teary eyed asking about him. Nick the owner even said Greek's don't pray much but he'd have dad in his prayers.
When we got back to the hospital, Kathy Bates and Dad were in his room having a nice chat. She was wonderful and so positive. She called to check on him in ICU the next day and has promised to keep praying for him. What a nice treat!
The first time she came by mom, Matt and I met her but dad was in a procedure. She was so nice and said she'd get back around to see dad. She asked mom how long they'd been married and mom replied, "35 years this past Sunday. We are working on number 36." Kathy replied with, "Awe, I say you shoot for at least 40."
For dad's last meal before surgery, we went to the Rendezvous and picked up ribs. It was so great to see everyone there. Jack who has waited on mom and dad for at least the past 30 years even knew dad was sick and he got teary eyed asking about him. Nick the owner even said Greek's don't pray much but he'd have dad in his prayers.
When we got back to the hospital, Kathy Bates and Dad were in his room having a nice chat. She was wonderful and so positive. She called to check on him in ICU the next day and has promised to keep praying for him. What a nice treat!
The nurses had to replace Daddy's pic line - and they let Matt and I stay and watch. I am totally fascinated with all things medical. Mom of course - bolted - she hates it all!
The running joke is that Mom would get mad at Matt for getting in Dad's bed because she said the nurses didn't like it. But, every time he was gone, Matt would dive in for some nap time. I played a gazillion games on my phone. The waiting will drive you crazy.
Dad was operated on on Wednesday and it took 9 hours! We were so lucky to have family and friends stop by to keep us company. Megan and Stella drove over from J-town to visit and have lunch. Hasselle and Mike (dad's brothers) were great company. I can't tell you how much it means to have the support of so many people.Dad is still there and we are praying he is home by Christmas.
No comments:
Post a Comment