Monday, September 6, 2010

Goodbye Dear Friend

427

Tonight I experienced one of my biggest heartaches, Wrigley lost his fight with cancer around 8:20 pm.  We knew when we got in from Branson that he wasn’t feeling well.  The doc said the first sign would be lack of appetite.  Bo cooked an Boston butt for dinner (it is Labor Day after all)– so we spent all afternoon out back with him.  He tried so hard to rally and play with the kids, but it was obvious he didn’t feel well.  We even made the decision we’d have to take him in tomorrow.  Bo gave his some scraps while we ate and I decided to let him in to watch some tv.  I opened the door and knew something was wrong – the bar-b-que was untouched.  He was under the table and couldn’t hardly lift his head.  I curled up next to him and yelled for Bo.  We stayed with him for the next d15 minutes (me hugging him tight).  Bo told him it was o.k. and we loved him.  He put his head down; took 5 more breathes and was gone.  I’ve never felt a more surreal experience. I could feel his soul leave his body and I knew he was gone.

We got Wrigley on August 5, 1996 – my 20th birthday.  I know!  Can you believe how young we were.  Bo lived in a rent house and the lawyer in me wrote up an agreement about what we’d do with him if we broke up (thank goodness that didn’t happen!).  He’s lived with us in 3 houses and witnessed (aka – put up with the birth of our 2 kids).  He was a mutt from my family’s farm.  We’ve grieved the loss of his mom and brothers and sisters.  We always joke how lucky he got it to become a city dog.  It was us who got lucky.  He was the best temperament – so self sufficient but at the same time so loving and ready to cuddle. 

 

I honestly underestimated how hard this would be.  I knew it was coming – but I expected some prolonged signs or at least a sign he was suffering or in pain.  We left him at 7 walking in the back yard.  By 8 – he couldn’t get up.  It was as if he waited for us to come say our goodbyes and then went to Heaven.  I can’t tell you how much I’ll miss and how I’ll need God’s guidance to help tell the kids.  I’m going to do all I can to be sure they remember (or at least know) what a great first pet they had.

No comments: