Wednesday, September 23, 2009

S stands for Spaceship!

Crawford is pretty much obsessed with dinosaurs and spaceships. So, today our letter was S - specifically so we could make a spaceship. I can't believe how much fun this was. We literally worked on this thing for 4 hours. We'd do a little, play a little, nap a little (the kids not me), and then we'd add some more. It just kept growing and growing and I loved that Crawford got involved in the creative aspect of it. Aside from the cutting and hot gluing - Crawford truly did a lot of this on his own!
We started with an empty clear 2-liter of Sprite and dumped paint in it.
He shook and beat this thing for 30 minutes. We'd add more paint and shake it some more!After nap (and drying time) it was time to paint, color, glitter and sponge all of the accessories. Conlee joined us and I even let her "color" with the baby crayon.
But, she definitely preferred the puffs to the crayon. She would clap her hands when Crawford would do something. Adorable!
I completely wanted the spaceship to say USA to cover the label. I thought we'd sponge a few letters and move on. How wrong I was! Crawford LOVED dipping the letters in the paint and sponging them. He'd pick out the letters I asked him to and go to town. We even got into "mixing" colors and learning that yellow and blue make green!
He was so excited to play with it that we forgot that every good "airplane" needs wings.
So, apron back on and crayons, glitter and paint - here we come.
The finished product.
His favorite part is the fire coming out of the "engines."
The "finished" spaceship displayed on his "big boy" chest. We finally took the changing table off - since he's potty trained (or training).
Spaceships weren't the only thing we did today. We also had a blast playing with the $5 "fireman" set I got at Neighborhood Market. Who knew that the "junk" aisle could bring so much joy! He can actually blow the whistle (which makes him die laughing) and he wants to wear the watch 24/7.
Crawford and Conlee also got to play with their friend Taylor. She is always "right" on time. I had a little bit of work to finish up and like magic - Taylor rang the doorbell. I finished my work and the kids had a great time playing hide-n-seek. I so can't wait for Taylor to be 16!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

okay...so where do you get all your great crafty ideas for Crawford? Do you come up with these all on your own or do you have a website/book you refer to? I'd love to do some of these with the Ry-man. If this is all out of your brain, I will forever be in awe of you...Miss Supermom.

Sharon :)